On 11/17/05, Stephan Leemburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The D-Link cards are bad and do not work well under OpenBSD (pre 3.8
> I haven't used them with 3.8). You should avoid them.
>
> I had two in one firewall and one in another, I replaced them with
> Intel Pro cards, to get rid of frequent kernel panics.
>
> I was planning to try to work on the driver, but the Intel cards just
> function that well that I think I'm not going to spend time on it.
>
> --
> Stephan
>

> On 17-nov-2005, at 9:00, Guido Tschakert wrote:
>
> > Daniel Ouellet wrote:
> >> Sorry for this off topic question. Looking at the archive, SK
> >> (Henning love them! (;>) is what look likes the best Ethernet
> >> cards to use, a few months ago anyway. The network cards are
> >> changing so quickly that what was true 6 months ago, may well not
> >> be today.
> >> For quad, can someone confirmed, deny or offer alternative known
> >> to work well before I get 12 of them. Hopefully I may be able to
> >> fit them into the Sun X2100, but will see.
> >> Also, any issue to run a minimum of 100 VLan on them? I didn't see
> >> issue in the archive, so I take it as been no problem! I don't
> >> think of any.
> >> Any other suggestions is also welcome, I am more concern at the
> >> efficiency of the cards as they will be routing and supporting
> >> many VLan and PF will in some of the setup use individual VLan
> >> firewall configuration, up to 125 in one case. Will see if I can
> >> make that work well, not sure of my possible success, but will see...
> >> Thanks for your time.
> > Hello,
> >
> > the D-Link Card DFE-580TX works under OpenBSD, but their greatest
> > advantage is that they are cheap (around 100 Euro in Germany).
> > Don't expect to much performance.
> > The are useful if you have to connect a lot of networks (with small
> > traffic) and have not enough pci slots and money ;-)
> >
> > I think you need something with better performance regarding to
> > your setup.
> >
> > guido

I do not agree, I have 10 or 12 D-Link DGE-530T running 3.7 atleast since CD
release time and no issues what so ever, they are attached as sk(4) devices
and I couldn't be a happier camper. Though that is most likely due to the
chipset, not D-Link as a brand. These cards are very cheap, some 20 euros a
pop in here in Sweden. Browse the OpenBSD metastore and/or the manual pages,
em(4) and sk(4) should get you started on your quest.

--
// Johan