On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 04:33:55PM -0500, Carson Chittom wrote:
> I have an old Macbook2,1 (dmesg below) that I've slapped OpenBSD on for
> purposes of just having something to check my email from.  Its wireless
> card is picked up during the install as athn(4), the firmware was
> installed on first boot, and /etc/hostname.athn0 is configured with my
> local wireless network's details.  But when I boot the laptop, all I get
> is "athn0......no link" Though msk(4) of course works fine, so I used a
> wired connection to update to -stable, to see if that would fix things;
> it didn't.
>
> I searched the archives for every combination of macbook, athn, and
> wireless I could think of, but I didn't see anything directly related
> (mostly I came up with stuff about weirdness with the intel driver under
> X, which I also see on this Macbook but don't care about since a console
> is sufficient to run Emacs and check my email).
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Should I upgrade to a snapshot?  Any advice
> welcome--I'd like for this laptop not to be tethered to a cable.

Do you get any device timeouts? I just got a athn card on ebay whose MAC
address says it came from Apple, and that is all I get on an old(-ish)
Asus L3S and on a Soekris net4801.

Incidentally, the card turns out to be a bit of a current hog. The
net4801 doesn't even complete POST with a 9.9VA power source (which it
does without the card), but booted fine with 12VA.