On 2013-05-02, Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz> wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendation. I just installed nfdump-1.6.3.1p0
> and noticed that there is no rc.d script - is that expected?

yes, you often want to run multiple nfcapd collectors and rc.d(8),
which is kept simple on purpose, can't handle this type of situation
directly.

> Is nfcapd supposed to be run from rc.local?

that's one option. another is to use it with nfsen, which does have
an rc.d script; nfsen starts nfcapd instances for you according to your
config.

> Also, the -u and -g options of nfcapd do not seem to work:
> while the _nfcapd user and group are created by the package,
> nfcapd simply does not start if I try to use -u or -g.
> (Without it, it runs just fine).

I don't recall the full details, but this seems to work fine
when setup using nfsen.

This reminds me, I have an update for this to commit ;)