I recently reworked my network and made my G4 Cube an IPSEC tunneling host. Here is what I have done.

[jupiter] <----> [uranus] <--- wireless network starts here ---> [wireless router] <----> [mars]

Jupiter is a core i7 computer running OpenBSD/amd64
Uranus is a Lanner atom based router running OpenBSD/i386
Wireless router is AVM Fritzbox 3270
Mars is G4 Cube running OpenBSD/macppc on 100 Mbit/s Lan port 2 on Wireless router

Now what I'm seeing is the following when downloading a large file (7GB): I only get 5 Mbit/s.

Here is the CPU stats on mars:

CPU states: 0.4% user, 0.0% nice, 11.4% system, 4.4% interrupt, 83.9% idle in a "systat vmstat 1" it shows that the gem0 card is at 1300 interrupts and packets in out are both around 1300 as well. Is this the limit with these cards? Here is what mars is doing: it gets 5 Mbit/s worth of traffic, it then encapsulates it in a gif0 and encapsulates that with IPSEC (running iked for key management). It then sends a bit more than 5 Mbit/s to Jupiter.

The AVM Fritzbox has around 55% cpu shown on its internal monitors. I doubt it's causing slowdowns.

Considering that without this tunneling host Jupiter and Uranus have done 20 Mbit/s I don't think it's they who are causing it. Which leaves me with Mars. Is there any way I can speed up this box? It behaves as if it's on a 10 Mbit/s half-duplex link (5 Mbit + 5 Mbit, per second) only that it's on 100 Mbit/s full-duplex.

Can anyone confirm that these boxes only do 10 Mbit/s, which is weird considering the 80% idle cpu.

Regards,
-peter