I still have old squeezebox and it is set as a static ip, on the
same net as the router and the rest of home net. So far as address
is as 255.255.255.0, it will not ask for more. Even better, there
is no wires and the device is in another room than wifi router.
I say all this to stress that simplicity is the most important
in using this kind of gadgets.
That "$dmz" sounds like wireless router? If yes, just connect
squeezebox to it. You would be surprized how far g might reach.
To be clear, I put media server on debian, since the server
was developed on that platform.
Best regards

                                   Zoran