On 05/13/2013 03:24 PM, Tony Berth wrote:
Dear Group,

I would like to know what kind of environment you use for remote management
of one or more openbsd servers. Which KVM over IP solution would you
recomend.

Oh, I remember those.

Last IP KVM switch I used worked BETTER for OpenBSD than it did for Windows... Seriously. Windows desktop was a garbled mess, looked like a badly tuned TV set (for those that remember when you could and needed to tune TVs), but running OpenBSD with X, it "Just Worked". Go figure. Getting the client software to run was another matter all together, as I recall, it was a horribly Windows/IE dependent.

Really, though. If it's in a data center, usually I just use the remote access controller on most servers these days or a serial console.

Just remember... if you got a big *** lock on the data center door (you should), make sure your remote console (however you do it) is comparably secure. Putting your remote access on the same network as all your users is similar to removing the locks on the data center door. Not changing the default RAC password and/or IDs is like putting a "Welcome" mat under the (unlocked) door of the data center.

And ask yourself...why do you run OpenBSD? Maybe because of the security. What OS do you think is at the base of your IP KVM? Probably not OpenBSD. Strength of a chain is the weakest link and all that -- if someone can knock over your KVM, they own your box. Don't compromise your machine with a bad remote console.

Nick.