"how-to"-like blog posts don't tell you why each step is taken and/or why some
choices are made, be it some -* option to a command or a whole design. Also, as
it has been said, things change from time to time (e.g. pf.conf syntax) and
blog posts are unlikely to be updated accordingly.  Obviously, there are some
exceptions to this rule, but in general, I'd say they can be useful at the most
as a pointer, giving you clues or ideas for the big picture, but you should
make your own decisions.

Some other blogs (like the one "who shall remain nameless", which you were
talking about) which are just plainly misleading and cause more harm than good.
There is an ever going effort not even to state its name, as it would just make
it more visible on search engines.

Using man pages force you to think about what you want to achieve beforehand,
instead of borrowing thoughts from someone else. Plus, you'll definitely learn
something in the process. It's a bit like the whole "teach a man how to fish"
thing… And you'll certainly get better responses on misc@ (because you'll ask
better questions), although some of them might precisely be "read the man
pages".

And speaking of misc@, I've learned quite a bit just by sitting around quietly
reading…

All the best