> Thanks for the idea, but I need to stick with Postfix in this case.  I
> am also trying to avoid having to run any extra authentication
> daemons.

Hi Don,

I'm about to upgrade an installation with an installation of cyrus-sasl2,
openldap, ldapdp and courier-imap 4.0.x from 3.6 -> 3.8 this weekend.

 I'd definitely forget using about using cyrus-sasl2 2.1.20 from the
ports - you really need to be using the lastest stable version.
 It transforms what was an excercise in hair pulling frustration
into a relatively straight forward procedure.

cheers
Paul