Thank you for the reply, I have now tried suspending with 'zzz', which puts
the netbook to sleep within a second, but it will not turn back on by
pressing keys or the touchpad/touchpad buttons.

So now the machine will not go back on, unless I assume, if I use the power
button, in which case it will come up from cold boot rather than resume.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas?