On 2013-06-07, Kenneth R Westerback <kwesterb...@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 07:09:05PM -0400, gpon...@spamcop.net wrote:
>> I recently updated from 5.2 to 5.3 and one ethernet port got broken.
>> The port connected to a cable modem and was configured for DHCP.
>> With 5.3, the DHCP assigned address is getting lost when I add an
>> alias.
>
> Mixing dhcp and aliases is not supported in 5.3 as we search for a
> consistant and reliable way to accomplish it. dhclient will always
> remove all addresses present on the interface when applying the
> lease.

For now, it's fairly easy to build a copy of the older version of
dhclient to work around this,

$ cd $HOME
$ cvs -d anon...@anoncvs.openbsd.org:/cvs get -r OPENBSD_5_2 -d dhclient
src/sbin/dhclient
$ cd dhclient
$ make
$ sudo make install

or you could try using a client from ports (e.g. isc-dhcp-client),
hostname.em2 would look something like the below, though I don't
know whether this will cope with rdomains correctly,

rdomain 1
!/usr/local/sbin/dhclient em2
alias 192.168.100.2 255.255.255.0

There are potential problems when you upgrade; be prepared to change
config to avoid the manual address setting so you can use the standard
dhclient if you need it (this type of program is more likely than most
to be affected by kernel/userland interface changes).