On 11/18/05, Matthias Kilian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 03:53:38PM -0500, Arnaud Bergeron wrote:
> > I noticed that, using ksh, if you try to tab-complete any filename
> > that has a '[' in it while there are more than one file in the
> > directory will fail.  Simple example:
> [...]
> > So this leads to my question.  Is it a design feature,  a POSIX
> > requierment, or simply something that has gone unnoticed?
>
> ksh would need some kind of incremental parser for both parsing
> scripts as well for doing tab-completion. Unfortunately, using a
> common parser for normal use (parse a script) and for special
> interactive use (completion) isn't trivial. The edit implementations
> (both emacs and vi) use lots of ad-hoc stuff.
>
> I'd the idea of using a common parser implemented with yacc(1), but
> Otto pointed out that this wouldn't help much but also bloat ksh.
>
> So, for now, completion won't work for some pathological cases ('{',
> '@', and other unusual characters).

I reported it precisely because the characters you mentionned (and all
other 'special' chars i know) are working perfectly.  '[' and ']' are
the only chars I have problems with even if they are properly escaped.

> Fixing this would be more than one or two days of work. But have a
> look at at&t ksh -- it even sucks more if it comes to completion.

Now if you still think it would take more than one or two days, I
think I'll try to code myself a little interactive-only shell.

--
"They allowed us to set up a separate division almost, that is physically,
geographically, psychologically and spiritually different from what Bill