In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Cappuccio) writes:

>> I haven't had good luck with AMD64 so far.  The server I built not
>> a year ago has had more kernel panics and funky-ass behavior than
>
> Be careful about what kind of motherboard and RAM you buy in the future...
>
> Motherboard chipset compatibility is also an issue with newer AMD64 stuff

People need to understand what they are buying into.

You have desktop boards and server class boards.

Athlon64 is a desktop processor, Opteron is a server processor,
and thus the boards likewise.

Generally the server class board will cost twice as much as the desktop
board, but have decent manufacturer (Intel or AMD) chipset and the right
buses (PCI-X) connected in a sensible manner.

If you are buying cheap desktop boards with poorly designed chipsets
then they are never going to be good server boards, and you will
experience the problems described.

-Paul-