After much frustration I did manage to get HylaFax to send and receive faxes.

The first problem I ran into was faxsetup failing when it was configuring the
iaxmodem,
and leaving a half setup system that had to be manual configured. I believe
that there
are fixes for the problem. They were sent to me but I didn't try them since by
then
I had gotten around the problem, by manually doing the setup.

The next class of problem was missing the "Adobe Font Metrics" package ("afm").
To test fax I tried to use HylaFax's "sendfax" command which gave and error
message
saying it needed "ghostscript", but made no mention of needed the "Adobe Font
Metrics"
and "sendfax" generated misleading error messages as a result. Once I had
added the "Adobe Font Metrics". I could now generate a fax and was able
to trace down the rest of my problems from the log files.

Currently I have

nohup /usr/local/bin/iaxmodem ttyIAX0 >>/var/log/iaxmodem/daemon.log 2>&1 &
nohup /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyIAX0 &

in my /etc/rc.local

And I can receive and send faxes, but iaxmodem stops working randomly

All the log shows is

iax.c line 2617 in iax_header_to_event: Cancelling transmission of packet 0
iax.c line 2617 in iax_header_to_event: Cancelling transmission of packet 1

these two lines repeating over and over again.

I know using /etc/rc.local to start "faxgetty" is not the correct method
and that it should be started using an entry in /etc/ttys.

I haven't been able to get that that to work. I don't understand the interplay
between /etc/ttys, /etc/gettytab and /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.ttyIAX0.

I suspect the problem is with the value for "GettyArgs" in
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.ttyIAX0

any help would be appreciated.