On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Patrick Lamaiziere
<patf...@davenulle.org> wrote:
> Le Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:18:13 +0200 (CEST),
> Jummo <jum...@yahoo.de> a écrit :
>
>> This works quiet good for me and my firewalls with one exception, my
>> big fat central router/firewall. This firewall has around 2000 lines
>> of pf.conf, is attached with 12 VLAN interfaces and get slowly
>> unmanageable with this concept.
>>
>> How to you manage such big firewalls? Do you split the pf.conf into
>> logical parts? Do you use a base structure for every pf.conf? Do you
>> use a tool for automatic creation of pf.conf? How do you tests your
>> old rules after you changed something?
>
> We have a large set of rules at work on several routers/firewalls and we
> use a tool 'list firewall (lsfw)' to help to manage the rules set. The
> goal is to display the rules applied between a source address and a
> destination, on several equipments, doing routing and firewalling.
> See: https://groupes.renater.fr/wiki/jtacl/index
>
> It has some other features, ip cross references by example which is
> cool to know where an address is used directly or indirectly (in
> table/group) or to extract the addresses from the configurations and to
> automate tests on them.
>
> That works fine at work (PF + cisco + checkpoint), but there are some
> limitations (see the doc...)
>
> My next step is a tool to managed security policies. I mean if someone
> asks to open a port, we should be able to track this policy (who, why,
> which rules are used) and to check it. This is work in (slow) progress.
> If someone already has such tool please let me know :)
>
> If you want more precisions ask me, this is a bit out of topic here.
>
> Regards.

A really, really interesting topic. I have the same problem with my
CARP firewalls (20 in total), but I think the best option is the one
that says Andy: fast, reliable and "secure" (if you know what are you
doing) ...

Andy, do you use the firewall module that comes with puppet to
accomplish this task??