On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 12:07:29PM +0200, Mirco Richter wrote:
> Is there some GUI-front-end for (at least) the wlan related
> functionality of ifconfig?

Not a GUI, but I'm using a script called wiconfig which is discussed at:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20120113172334

Currently I'm running it on a ThinkPad T500 with CURRENT and an old HP
laptop running 5.3 RELEASE. Works great. I can suspend my laptop at
home, go over to my girlfriends place and, upon resume, it'll
automatically connect to her WiFi. The same thing if there are no WiFi
available except for my Android phone in hotspot-mode. There a some
security concerns though. Read the article at Undeadly.

Regards,

Erling