On 2013-08-06, Nathan Goings <binarysp...@binaryspike.com> wrote:
> I'm dealing with old software that uses old NAT traversal techniques.  I
> specifically need to select the NAT variation as defined by RFC 3489
> (section 5).
>
> Generally I've used nat-to's 'static-port' option and gotten around this
> issue.  After adding some clients host-side, it seems like NAT traversal
> isn't working.
>
> Suppose I have this NAT rule:
> pass out on $external_int from <conenat> nat-to $external_int static-port
>
> What NAT variation does OpenBSD implement by default?
>
> Wikipedia page on NAT variation (port translation):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation#Methods_of_port_translation

Normally port-restricted cone, or with static-port it's similar to symmetric
(but obviously static-port can't work when two internal machines use
the same port).

With increasing use of cgnat in some large service provider networks you can
be sure to see more nat-related problems with v4 over time...

Is VPN or IPv6 an option instead?