>> It seemed like time to update and get the new ftp-proxy.  During this I ran
>> 'pkg_delete -q /var/db/pkg/*' while updating the sources. The OpenBSD
>> build was okay, but ports are not building now.  The command might have
>> been package-specific; i.e., perhaps I should have used 'port uninstall'
>> instead since I have been using 'make install' in ports.
>
>Anyways, you are installing packages, not ports, because ports building
>process creates packages.
>
>> Probably I could begin to use packages now and things would be okay, but
>> am trying to learn how to compile things properly.   This installation is
>> -current on AMD64.
>>
>> Is there general method to make ports work again in this situation?
>
>You can either update your ports tree and build stuff, or use packages
>for the version of OpenBSD you are using.

I did update ports and also rebuilt X.  Perhaps it is a Firefox problem?  This
is
the error after Firefox had installed gmake and moved to gettext:

"Can't install gettext-0.14.5 because of conflicts (gettext-0-10-40p3)"

There were no applications previous to this Firefox install, excepting those
already
in OpenBSD.

There is not a ports index to update or reindex, or the like?  Maybe Firefox is
broken
for -current and I will need to use Mozilla 1.7.

Thanks,
Darrel