Hi All!

OBSD 5.3
PHP 5.3.21
Apache/1.3.29
Drupal 7.23

Everything except Drupal is stock OBSD pkg-installed.

Everything inside Drupal works perfectly except mail. I -think- it's a permissions problem because when I run a Drupal mail function the -only- feedback I get is on the screen 'Unable to send e-mail.' and the log 'Error sending e-mail to...' Which is why I'm asking here and not a PHP or Apache forum.

Each website resides under /var/www/htdocs/username, and each username also owns a /home directory.

Each /htdocs is owned by username/daemon.

Httpd runs under user www.

Not a 'multisite,' each website has its own copy of Drupal.

No other system level maillog, messages, or secure log lines.

A mailtest.php anywhere under /htdocs/username works fine with su - username. But su - www the 'mail' line fails because it's outside the sandbox.

So, I don't know if the right way to fix this is to...
- put a copy of mail inside ~/www (yucky)
- add www to daemon group
- run httpd as user daemon

Yeah I could just 'push buttons till it works' but I'd rather -understand- what I'm doing and not simply drive without headlights down a country road at night. :)

Thanks much. Have a :) day!

jb

--
Jim Barchuk