On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 09:13:21AM +0000, openda...@hushmail.com wrote:
> Good point. I'm doing asset precompilation in this Ruby on Rails app
> - a process that should only take a couple of minutes if not seconds,
> but ends up taking over 1 hour on my VPS. I asked around and it seems
> to be a very I/O intensive process.

> So what are my options? Demand better services from my ISP or stop
> using VPS altogether?

one thing you can try is disabling mpbios and, if you don't need usb,
uhci in the kernel.  I've only seen this make a diffence on i386 and it
may be specific to some versions of qemu.

# config -o /bsd -e /bsd
ukc> disable mpbios
ukc> disable uhci
ukc> quit

then reboot.

anyway, this is just a guess.  you might get some better advice if you
provide more info, like the output of dmesg.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.