Hi guys,

I am looking for some suggestions for a good, small quite laptop. I was
looking at futureshop.ca and bestbuy.ca. I currently have an HP dv3

For OpenBSD, I would never buy something at FutureShop or BestBuy; those are all consumer-oriented "Designed For Windows 8" laptops.

I either buy Lenovo ThinkPads from an authorized reseller (e.g. the x201t sitting in front of me, and many of the OpenBSD developers use various models of Thinkpad), or I buy off-lease (trailing-edge) Dell Latitude/Precision laptops directly from Dell - see www.dfsdirect.ca for their off-lease selection.

The Latitude E4000 series are all quite small and light, are readily available, and AFAIK are fully supported. Right now I'm running 5.3-RELEASE on a Latitude D630 with no issues at all, and IIRC the E4500 should be fully supported as well.

Many people cringe at the thought of a used laptop, but note that DFS will offer a 1-year warranty, which is exactly what you get buying consumer-grade laptops from a retail big-box store anyway. My favourite part of the Latitude E series (and most Precision models, too) is that if you get the optional docking base, you can then run dual-DVI off the laptop!

--
-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net