>I have a web program that attempts to access /dev/urandom from within the
>/var/www chroot.  Based on archive searches and googling, I've removed
>the nodev flag from that mount and have created the random devices in
>/var/www/dev/*

So basically remove a layer of security.  Awesome.  See what they made
you do?

The /dev/*random nodes are not specified in any standard, furthermore
once you get into chroot all bets are off (like you discovered).

>This allows the program to work, but I'm wondering if there is a better
>way to do this that doesn't involve removing the nodev setting from
>/var.

Rewrite it so that it uses other ways to get randomness.  The arc4random
API is exposed in various programming layers.

>Would it be preferable to use a language function for getting pseudo
>random bytes instead of relying on the device?

Yes.  Definately.