On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Brad Smith <b...@comstyle.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added an entry to want.html as I am looking for a laptop to replace the
> laptop I have at the moment which has some really bad heat related issues
> and I have been hobbling along with it for awhile now. I am in the Toronto
> area. I thought I would post to misc@ for some greater exposure. Is there
> anyone that would be able to help me out?
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

Hi Brad

Is the fan functioning?  If so, have you tried opening up the laptop
and re-applying thermal grease to the CPU?  If the laptop has a few
years under its belt, the old grease could have perished.

We had a similar issue with our ageing fleet of Dell Latitude D630s
where the GPU was overheating and causing random crashes and graphics
artefacts, and that cleared the problem up nicely if we got to it
before it caused permanent damage to the GPU.  That rarely happened
since the laptops were used in rather remote areas and thanks to the
moron who came before us they plugged on without letting us know what
happened, but we managed to rescue a handful of them until they
succumbed to other kinds of hardware failure, finally convincing
management to shell out for some replacement laptops that were covered
by 3 years of hardware support.

Hope this helps.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse