On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM, ag@gmail <amarendra.godb...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 7:53 AM, sven falempin <sven.falem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <pe...@bsdly.net
> >wrote:

> >> On my daughter's brand spanking new Lenovo Ideapad $something Touch, we
> >> needed to set the BIOS to 'legacy mode' in order to have it boot into
> the
> >> Ubuntu installer and then choose some obscure linux kernel parameter for
> >> it to switch to a usable graphics mode for the installer to complete.
> >>
> >> For some reason she wanted her laptop on Ubuntu and to use it herself
> from
> >> that point on.
> >>
> >> - P
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> >> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> >> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> >> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
> >
> > Why you people are talking about your Lenovo experience ? are you
> salesman ?
> >
> > *facepalm*
> >
> > [...]
>
> Oh damn right - you see Peter is Lenovo's Taiwan head, Mayuresh manages
> their APAC sales and I handle North America sales! ROFL.

I knew it :D

> For your laptop, did you probe BIOS options as Peter suggested? The answer
> is a simple yes or no *hint*

Yes i spend a lot of times in the settings disabling the secure boot and
trying to boot various OSes changing the settings, even with ESXi (the best
result i got was with this one).

because you are all asking for trivia:

This is a ASUS N76V

But i do not want to go back to legacy BIOS, the laptop got a supported
restoration working with it, i do not want to break it.

I found some kind of uefi code a long time ago and lost the reference , i
was hopping someone knows about some kind of firmware that would emulate
the BIOS work.

The goal is to boot over usb, i had linux/windows/openbsd and more 10 years
ago on a computer i do not want to have this madness again.

> -ag
>
> --
> sent via 100% recycled electrons from my mobile command center.

/\