On 11/11/13 03:39, Nick Holland wrote:
On 11/10/13 20:21, Bill Clay wrote:
A while ago, I had 2 disks combined in RAID-1 with softraid
Later, 1 disk died. I just removed and kept the good
remaining disk and now I want to grab some files off of it.

The drive shows up as sd1 in dmesg
$disklabel sd1
shows that the partition in question is d and has fstype RAID
but it won't let me
$mount /dev/sd1d /mnt/disk_d

for one...  you aren't showing you are doing the mount as root. :)  but
that's not your big problem.

If I remember correctly, the RAID was itself (sub?)partitioned
(is that the right terminology?)
I don't want to rebuild it, or recover it,
I just want to get access and copy some of the files off of it.

So, what is the best recommended way to mount and get access
to the files on a partition with fstype RAID?

thanks

sd1d would be the partition used to create the softraid virtual disk.
You can't mount that partition any more than you mount an entire disk.

You want the partitions INSIDE that virtual disk, which should have come
up in your dmesg at boot as probably sd2 (or later, if there were other
sd-ish devices)

Unless this is a usb disk inserted after the machine was already booted. If so, reboot with the disk in place. If the system insists on trying to boot off it, you might need to unflag the A6 partition using
fdisk -e (e.g. 'flag 3 0').

I'm not entirely sure there is a way to forcibly assemble a raid set with one chunk missing.

/Alexander

Nick.