==== Original message from Kapetanakis Giannis at 12-11-2013 20:42

>>> So far we're using OpenVPN, but I want to change that or at maybe
>>> offer L2TP/IPsec in addition to OpenVPN.
>> Have you considered using isakmpd?
>
> Yes my test implementation was with isakmpd and npppd. The problem is
> the authentication on the ipsec path.
> I don't want to use the same PSK for every-one.
isakmpd with an ipsec.conf set up to use X.509 certificates would take
care of that.

> However the whole process is much more difficult for the end user than
> New Connection -> Define Connection type -> Enter username/password ->
> done.
If you use PKCS#12 you can send the certificate to the end user by mail
without compromising security.
All the end user needs to do is tell a (properly configured) VPN client
where the PKCS#12 package is located and he/she is up and running.

Daniel