OpenBSD is for the world. You have to ask yourself a few questions. Are
you an open source advocate? Do you like the freedom to use an operating
system the way you want to? Do you value stability and code correctness
in an operating system? Is security paramount in your computing world?
Do you value accurate documentation and a developer world who pride
themselves on correctness? If the answer to these few question is yes,
then OpenBSD is for you.

If you like for someone to tell you, how to use an operating system and
don't mind your OS crashing and security exploits, then you're in the
wrong place.

On 11/19/2013 10:37 AM, za...@gmx.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to OpenBSD. In fact, I am a total newbie here. After reading
many posts on this list, I formed the impression that all or most
OpenBSD users are high-end IT professionals.
> I was wondering: are there OpenBSD users who are not so advanced in
terms of IT expertise? That is, who are simple computer *users*, not IT
professionals?
> I need to know this because I am starting feeling that, as an average
computer user, I might be out of place here. I was attracted to OpenBSD
by its security-by-default philosophy. Admittedly, I don't know much
about security and I would not be able to set the proper security
settings on my own, so I have decided to adopt OpenBSD and use it for
simple day-to-day tasks, as a desktop OS (as I would any popular Linux
distribution). Does this choice of mine, and its underlying reasoning,
make sense?
> Are there any significant drawbacks to my adoption of OpenBSD (such as
OpenBSD being too technical and too difficult, as compared, say, to
Linux distros)?

> Please, give me some advice. If OpenBSD is not for me, I would rather
know it sooner than later.

> Thanks
>
> Zaf

- --
Salim A. Shaw
System Administrator
OpenBSD / Free Software Advocate
Need stability and security --- Try OpenBSD.
BSD, ISC license all the way: Sell services, don't lease secrets

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSi4k7AAoJELO0Z/gjFO4kryMIAKifERLcoPeYtYo544vMC+c3
c18nb275QTLp7bMEl+iZqfuEcRsQ0V4cHfO+IsJ6Z1RAWwwEFu5GtYvWm01KOWk/
PIdh+A5e3N5aHsu0VWpgBLZeyJPH2x4QzQwOOITNk6ak5mLyVmPr8PkTDV083zNl
/U+NKoOR7o/V+EMcvzrvxd3GQh5TB+pnFaEuqXU7JkqcHdLdS2NhTDy2W7zAp5LQ
EL8GWpBKzN/dXD1vUhRq7c7fez5TZxoQ2tL3IvsMyds7P/BSl21B7tTwUIx/oo5O
hjB9bF13OCy+WXYWDESKMOodMlREm7wUETMpdubCGVOpxD61L/TZCGWcgKGEXew=
=K6m4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----