Hi Zaf,

I am an IT professional myself even though my daily work is far away from the OpenBSD world, which is also the major reason I find OpenBSD attractive.

I would say your reasons make good sense and so do your choice. It takes time to learn but if you value the security-by-default philosophy then you are the right place.

The way I see it there is no replacement for OpenBSD. If you should consider an alternative, I would suggest to compare to other BSD distributions and not Linux.

The contribution part of the community is another story though. My impression so far is that a highly specialized technical knowledge is required to be able to contribute at all. But as a user I guess only basic UNIX skills are required.

Best wishes

---

I have been following these mailing lists for some months now