J.C. Roberts wrote:

Both security and reliability are really nothing more than a byproduct
of correctness and well informed decisions.
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:34:39 -0600, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's the point.
Note the "nothing more". And the "byproduct".
If you throw away the correctness, and the effort it requires,
the security and reliability won't be around for long.

Yes, OpenBSD is the _only_ operating system that takes security as
seriously as it should be taken. Consider the why of OpenBSD's
accomplishments. Remove the why and you remove what they accomplished.
Use OpenBSD and think like Windows and get Windows security.

Thanks Tony! In couple of sentences you perfectly covered what took me
pages to explain.

And sometimes I wonder why no one ever accuses me of brevity.  ;-)

Kind Regards,
JCR
JCR,

/Please/ don't loose your verbosity.

For newbies like me, your lengthy descriptions of why the OpenBSD community thinks like it does are incredibly useful. Short, pithy explanations like Tony's are great for people who already understand but those of us just starting on our quest can often find them as cryptic as the proverbs of Buddha.

For my job, I write bootstraps and device drivers for real-time embedded systems and my biggest problem is when the documentation is missing, wrong, or worst of all, contradictory (*cough* Motorola *cough* Wind River *cough*).

What I most like about OpenBSD is the philosophy that nothing is done by magic. It works because it was designed correctly, implemented correctly, documented correctly. Nothing is done without you explicitly asking for it. I am sure it would be a cold day in hell before a paperclip popped up and said "It looks like you're configuring sendmail. Would you like help with this feature?"

However, for one who is not yet enlightened, the most annoying thing about OpenBSD is trying to work out what you actually need to know. E.g. you have downloaded a .iso file and you know that there must be a way to open it without having to burn it to a disc. You search the man pages, google, etc but how do you find out that the feature you need is vnconfig(8)? (alright, so I actually did find it through google and the neohapsis archives of misc@).

Anyway thanks for responding to Robbert's thread. You have definitely helped me to understand the attitudes of the community.

-Penfold