On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 12:36:44PM +0100, Daniel Collaziol wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> so, I installed the OpenBSD 5.4 in my laptop (hardware/configs dumps
> below) a few weeks ago and everything is running smoothly, with one
> exception: the fan is quite noisy.
>
> I tried already setting the hw.setperf to 0 by using the apmd(8)
> options -C, -A and -L, which indeed set this config although the fan
> speed keeps high (see below).
>
> I also found another related thread within OpenBSD's mailing lists here:
> http://openbsd.7691.n7.nabble.com/x201-fan-noise-td103277.html
>
> I just wondered whether there is some new i.e. built-in solution to
> that other than hacking the Thinkpad driver.

The thread you're referencing refers to the x201 thinkpad,
but....

> $ dmesg

> bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.6 @ 0xeb2e0 (54 entries)
> bios0: vendor Dell Inc. version "A08" date 09/13/2010
> bios0: Dell Inc. Inspiron N5010

... your bios doesn't make it look like a thinkpad.

I have an x201i thinkpad with the latest BIOS, and it runs without
too much fan noise on OpenBSD -current.

bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.6 @ 0xe0010 (78 entries)
bios0: vendor LENOVO version "6QET70WW (1.40 )" date 10/11/2012
bios0: LENOVO 3626EZ4