On 11/25/05, J.C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You are partially correct about the "MegaRAID ATA 133-2" HBA; the
> "MegaRAID ATA 133-2" is _partially_ supported in OpenBSD mainly because
> it is only _partially_ a RAID device. The low-end ATA-133-2 card is
> actually a "fake-RAID" device that requires specialized drivers to
> enable the RAID functionality. Though the "ATA 133-2" card can not do
> it's usual "fake-RAID" on OpenBSD due to the lack of "fake-RAID"
> drivers, the card still works perfectly as standard ATA-133 controller.
> -Saying it is "*not*" supported is somewhat unfair, since it actually is
> supported as well as it can be without adding a closed source binary
> driver to your system. If you really needed "RAID" functionality and it
> was the only card you had, you could easily use it as a normal
> controller then do SoftRAID on top of it.

I disagree with you.  If the RAID functionality is not supported, then it is
not a supported RAID card.  You can say it is a supported IDE card, and that
is perfectly fine, but please do not mention it anywhere near any RAID
functionality.  Fake-Raid is fake, and saying that softraid on a fake raid
card is misleading, because you can do softraid on any IDE device, it does
not have to be a fake raid crap.

-Tai