On 2013-12-09, Patrick Lamaiziere <patf...@davenulle.org> wrote:
> Le Mon, 09 Dec 2013 12:31:04 +0000,
> Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
>> I don't think msi can be re-enabled for this part in OpenBSD, the
>> reason it's disabled is that there is a bug in the 82571/2 chips
>> (errata 63 in
>> http://www.intel.co.uk/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/82571eb-82572ei-gbe-controller-spec-update.pdf)
>> and the symptom in affected machines is that the card doesn't
>> transmit at all, so unless someone else has a clever idea I think
>> this will need to remain a local patch.
>
> I agree, I've read the bug report
> (http://openbsd.7691.n7.nabble.com/Intel-PRO-1000-PF-em-network-card-not-working-with-MSI-on-Dell-R610-td195975.html)
> and we use a later bios on our R610, may be it fix this issue :
>
> bios0: vendor Dell Inc. version "2.1.15" date 09/02/2010
> bios0: Dell Inc. PowerEdge R610

Thing is, it's not an R610 problem, the R610 is following the specs
and running into bugs in the nic, and other machines might well also
follow the spec and also fail with this nic.

> (the number of erratas for this card is incredible!)

It might look bad but this isn't particularly unusual! Many of these
can be worked-around in the driver. Fortunately in this case the vendor
does publish this sort of information rather than just silently working
around in their own driver, you can imagine what it's like for people
trying to reverse-engineer undocumented hardware..

Note that many of these errata (e.g. those mentioning BMC, SOL,
RMCP, RAKP 1 and most if not all SMBus) are mostly concerned with
sharing a nic doing IPMI management with the OS, so aren't really
relevant to OpenBSD.