On 12/15/2013 08:16 PM, Adam Jensen wrote:
For the sake of others who might also be confused by this, the
framebuffer console is probably configured and *on by default* when
5.4-release (or -stable or -current) is installed on machine with an
appropriate *intel* graphics device. I say "probably" because I haven't
verified this on an intel graphics equipped machine. Machines without an
appropriate graphics device won't/can't have a framebuffer console (yet).

If anyone has knowledge of how the framebuffer console is configured and
controlled, a short tutorial would be grand!

I now have 5.4-stable running on a machine with an intel graphics device and the framebuffer console is indeed on by default.

[dmesg]: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=eKgZzNa8

When the monitor is connected directly to the machine - rather than the KVM switch - the machine boots with 1600x1200 resolution and there is plenty of text on the screen. At this resolution the text size is almost perfect for me but the default font is a bit thick, jagged, and overly stylized for my taste.

Has anyone figured out how to configure the framebuffer console?