When writing outbound rules in pf, is there an accepted best practice
for only matching packets that are either forwarded or
firewall-generated?

The best that I could come up with is 'received-on all' as a way of
identifying forwarded packets, but that option can't be negated to
match packets that were not received on any inbound interface (i.e.
those generated by the firewall itself).

Another option is 'from (self)', but then you have to be careful with
any preceding nat rules. Ideally, I want a solution that doesn't
depend on the context. I also tried to use tags in combination with
'received-on', but it became rather messy and created conflicts with
other tag usage.

What is everyone else using to solve this problem?