On 12/17/2013 07:46 AM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
Adam Jensen <han...@riseup.net> wrote:

I recently installed 5.4-stable on a machine with an intel graphics
device so I can tinker with the framebuffer console.

I notice that when running tmux on the console, output to the screen is
very sluggish and text seems to scroll with a wave-like effect.

The hardware acceleration for the framebuffer console on Intel
graphics went through several stages; from your report I guess that
5.4-release/stable is at one where only scrolling of the whole
screen is accelerated, but not that of a scrolling region.

In -current I don't see a slowdown in scrolling regions any longer.
This appears to have been silently (?) fixed.

Are you sure? We might be talking about different issues. I haven't tinkered with 5.4-current so I can't verify whether or not the framebuffer console behavior I've experienced has changed. A simple experiment:

At the framebuffer console, login; change to a directory with many files; measure the time of the directory listing.

# cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
# time ls
  [...lots of output...]
    0m0.29s real     0m0.00s user     0m0.22s system

Then start tmux in the simplest mode (one session, one window, no panes) and do it again.

# tmux
# cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
# time ls
  [...lots of output...]
    0m33.19s real     0m0.01s user     0m0.01s system

If you do something like this on -current, what are your results?