On 2013-12-25, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mott...@libero.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> prompted by the quest of a smaller kernel on my old OmniBook 800 (for
> which memory modules are harder to find than a standard laptop), I tried
> my luck with dmassage against a stock GENERIC 5.4 kernel conf.
>
> I used the generated config fil, except that I enabled a couple of more
> PCMCIA drivers, which are of course all disabled except the currently
> inserted card.

Review the lines that dmassage has commented-out. You can fairly safely
remove unused drivers for network/scsi/audio controllers/USB devices,
but other drivers/pseudo-devices are more likely to give problems.
Trimming out devices (especially some scsi and nic drivers) will trim
out a lot, and if you then find you need to go further, you'll just
need to take it step by step with educated guesses.

dmassage is about 12 years old, it is useful in some cases but
the generated config cannot be used directly.