On 16 Jan 2014, at 19.17, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net> wrote:
> OpenBSD has already began incorporating NaCl by bypassing OpenSSL entirely.

Good news - perhaps my philosophy is “why lay a lot of small bricks here and
there when you can lay a cornerstone and be done with it?”. But perhaps I am
not taking all things into consideration.

> I can't speak for the architectural issues but I can't imagine that I or you
> are the only people imagining better cipher suites in the base system.

You are certainly right - that would be just naive. The OpenBSD approach to
things is generally to make the interfaces as simple as possible, drop-dead
simple. This eliminates configuration mistakes. Take OpenNTPD for example -
it’s simply beautiful what has been done with the configuration interface.

A systemwide autocipher engine device could easily be incorporated directly in
to PF, no? block all cipher hmac-sha1 (for example).

-mike