Ted,

        Thank you so much for responding.  I understand all of the words you
used.  However, this definitely goes beyond what I have done yet.  I will need
for the apache server to instigate the request.  I imagine I would want a vast
majority of the scripting to be run via CGI as normal calling out to the daemon
when the connection is necessary.  The part where I get very fuzzy is having
the CGI script call out to a daemon which would be perhaps a “wrapper” for my
PERL scripting that manages the process of making connections and retrieving
data from my network devices.  Would you be able to provide any links or
verbiage I could search to head me in the right direction to figuring out this
process?