Em 27-01-2014 14:30, Nick Bender escreveu:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Simon Perreault <
> simon.perrea...@viagenie.ca> wrote:
>
>> Le 2014-01-25 14:40, Richard Procter a écrit :
>>
>>  I'm not saying the calculation is bad. I'm saying it's being
>>> calculated from the wrong copy of the data and by the wrong
>>> device. And it's not just me saying it: I'm quoting the guys
>>> who designed TCP.
>>>
>> Those guys didn't envision NAT.
>>
>> If you want end-to-end checksum purity, don't do NAT.
>>
>> Simon
>>

> Relying on TCP checksums is risky - they are too weak.
>
> I live at the end of a wireless link that starts at around 7K feet
> elevation, goes over a 12K foot ridge, lands at my neighbors roof at 10k
> feet and then bounces across the street to my house. At one point I was
> having lots of issues with data corruption - updates failing, even images
> on web pages going technicolor half way through the download. The ISP
> ultimately determined there was a bad transmitter and replaced it. The
> corruption was so severe that it was overwhelming the TCP checksums to the
> point that as far as TCP was concerned it was delivering good data (just
> not the same data twice :-). Until they fixed the issue I was able to run a
> proxy over ssh which gave me slower but reliable network service.
>
> -N

I had the same issue on a different scenario. I traveled to a place
where the internet connection was so slow and so unreliable, that almost
all https handshakes would never complete. And yet checksums had a rate
of almost 60% of them being ok. That's why I always have a VPN server
lying around, to route my traffic to. In my experience, on very
unreliable connections, a UDP vpn, such as openvpn, saves the day. NAT
should (and will) have a very slow and painful death. But, then again,
IPv4 is about to die for more than a decade, and it's still here. I
guess the death will be very, very, very slow.

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
GPG: 4096R/77B981BC