Though I looked on a 5.3 system, rc.conf(8) suggests the following:
"It is advisable to leave rc.conf untouched, and instead create and edit a
new rc.conf.local file."

That's rather different from creating a copy. From a brief look at CVS,
it's the same for -current.

Regards,

Rogier

--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.