On February 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM Eric Brown <eric.c.br...@mac.com> wrote:
> I heartily recommend "Absolute OpenBSD, 2nd Edition."

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-OpenBSD-Practical-Paranoid-published/dp/B00E6T8TYA/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391988785&sr=1-3&keywords=Absolute+OpenBSD%2C+2nd+Edition.

looks like an easy choice.

> The answers to (almost) all of your questions, and others that are bound
> to come up, can be found there.  It's written at a nice intermediate
> level.

Just what I am looking for.

> Also, is it necessary to partition your disk into smaller pieces?

I don't know.  :-)   I seem to be saying that a lot.  This is not
like Solaris and ZFS and I feel shunted back to Solaris and UFS
wherein I would often split out /var at the very least. Also I
don't want a user directory to fill up root so /home gets its own
world.  Also I wanted to build Apache 2.4.x and it would live up
in /opt/genunix along with a whole build directory in /opt/build.
So those could get large .. hence separate them out. Possibly to
other disks.

> I mean, I can understand why this could be important. But in my
> experience, I have had many more issues with small partitions than one
> great big /.  Usually by way of tinkering with sizes to be big enough,
> but not too big.  It seems to be never ending agonizing unless the
> workload is known fairly precisely.

I'm tinkering.  My version of "tinkering" usualy includes the ability
to bootstrap GCC and build things from sources.

> Yes, you would need a (C)ustom:
>
> z   (<- erase table)
> b   (<- add a swap if you want, customarily 2 * ram of system)
>     (accept offset)
>     (enter size, e.g. `8G' )
> a   (<- remainder for /)
>     (accept offset)
>     (accept size)
>     (accept default format)
>     ( mount at `/'  )

> and move on to better things in life. (You can back up to another volume
> with rsync, too!)

thank you.

I may just do a re-install before I get too far into this.  Or not.
Either way I like what I see thus far.

dc