I can't remember specifically where I read it, but I recall specific
warnings somewhere in the CARP documentation about ping and the virtual IP.

I encountered similar oddities configuring CARP for IPv4 and IPv6. You
may want to look at your route tables.

--
-- John Jasen (jja...@realityfailure.org)
-- No one will sorrow for me when I die, because those who would