Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fopenbsd.org%2F&charset=%28dete
ct+automatically%29&doctype=Inli

Openbsd.org is built on invalid, broken code.

If you would like to know why web standards are important, you could read
these

http://www.zeldman.com/dwws/
http://www.webstandards.org/about/