On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com> wrote:
> How does bursting work in new queue? I'm unable to measure any effects.
>
> For instance, I start with something like:
>
> pass in on em0 proto tcp to port 80 queue web
> queue rootq on em0 bandwidth 100M max 100M
> queue web parent rootq bandwidth 10K max 5K
> queue std parent rootq bandwidth 100M default
>
> And sure enough, web downloads are crazy slow. So I tweak it:
>
> pass in on em0 proto tcp to port 80 queue web
> queue rootq on em0 bandwidth 100M max 100M
> queue web parent rootq bandwidth 10K max 50K burst 100M for 100ms
> queue std parent rootq bandwidth 100M default
>
> Even small downloads are still crazy slow though, although I would
> expect them to complete within 100ms at 100M.
>
> What does it mean for a queue to "burst" and what is the meaning of
> the duration? For 100ms per second? per connection? per ever?

I'd LOVE a better explanation of this as well with practical examples
(multiple HTTP and VoIP flows?).  As it stands now, I'd assume the
burst Ted configured would allow traffic to burst up to 1000Mbps
(100Mb * 10).  Or was this still throttled by max?  That said, I
assume bursting is less important with the higher bandwidth speeds
that we have today.  I imagine this is all explained in code, but it
would be great if this could be explained in layman-ish terms as well.
 I also wonder how something like this plays with qlimit.