The following recipe might help:

   boot bsd.rd
   (s) for shell

   fsck your root filesystem
   mount your root filesystem on /mnt
   fsck the filesystems specified in /mnt/etc/fstab

   Mount at least your /usr partition, but on /mnt/usr
   You will need it to run the pwd_mkdb command

   Run the following:

   /mnt/usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -d /mnt/etc master.passwd

Good luck.

There is a simpler path of course.  Do an upgrade to the same era of
code you were running.  Behind the scenes, it will perform this
same action.