On 2014-03-25, Michael Lackner <michael.lack...@unileoben.ac.at> wrote:
> The first big problem was the lack of a new enough GNU assembler
> ("as"/"gas"), as x264
> features SSSE3 inline assembly, that gas from binutils 2.15 cannot build. So
> I went ahead
> and compiled myself my own gas from binutils 2.24, which supposedly worked
> fine.

OpenBSD -current (and the already-tagged but not-yet-released 5.5) builds
x264 with Clang's assembler to enable the assembly code.

> To learn more, I thought I'd take a look at the x264 port of OpenBSD 5.4, but
> found this
> in its Makefile, disabling all linking against both libav and ffmpeg as well
> as disabling
> all assembly (likely due to the binutils/gas issue):

The FFmpeg port is built against x264, so building x264 against FFmpeg would
give a circular build dependency. It could potentially be done differently by
adding a bootstrap flavour of the x264 port, but that's a lot of complication
for something which I don't recall seeing any requests on-list for before.