Em 26-03-2014 17:18, Theo de Raadt escreveu:

>> Theo,
>>
>>     I agree with you that the installer must be as small as possible,
>> and still offer a good mix of ways to install the software. With
>> signify, the security of the underlying security of the protocol being
>> used in the installation, becomes irrelevant, as long as you trust the
>> initial key and as long as you are not trying to obfuscate which
>> platform/sets/packages you are installing.
>>
>>     Personally I don't do network installs, only as last resort. I
>> prefer using a usb stick. Our OP apparently does not has physical access
>> to the machines so it has to rely on network installs/upgrades,
>> whatever. If he can dedicate a machine for making it's own mirror, it's
>> the best alternative.
>>
>>     It would be nice to have openssl in the installer, but it surely
>> isn't much of a problem nowadays.
> That's entirely true, but signify only works for the signed base sets.
>
> site*.tgz is now a pretty serious outlier.  I feel we might have to do
> a rather large departure from the current model to make that file safe
> again.  I know it is fetched locally, but there is this really twisted
> dependency on all three files SHA256.sig, SHA256, and index.txt.
>
> Regarding safey of site*.gz, placing openssl there is not part of any
> solution that would work.  What are other possible solutions?  I do
> not yet know.
>
> One development path may be to remove site*tgz from the main install
> sequence, and try to handle it in a more special way after base set
> installs.  Even if we have to add an additional question for a while.
> Then maybe we can develop a better sequence that satisfies the same
> need.
>
> The install scripts are dynamic, something changes in them every
> release, so this is a natural process.
As I mentioned, openssl would only make possible to obfuscate the
platform, sets and packages being installed. There a lot of side
channels attacks that make possible to tell exactly what you are
installing, even if the connection is encrypted. For this reason, I
think signify is a much more important change than putting openssl in
the installer.

The siteXX.tgz should be handled in a different way. Perhaps the way you
proposed, of at some point someone can have a different solution. I
thought for a while and nothing came up, besides what you already proposed.

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
GPG: 4096R/77B981BC