Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect some neoware ca22 thinclient boxes, and seeing strange behavior I don't know how to interpret.

I have a bootable 5.4 usb stick. If I put that in the box, right after the initial bios boot screen (after it says "via c7 1.0Ghz"), the system resets. This is before it tests the memory or probes for devices. If I go into bios setup, and *then* plug the usb stick in, it resets immediately. If I let it start booting windows xp (which is on it's flash DOM), and then plug it in, it continues to boot.

Suspicious that it was the usb drive itself, I tried three separate brands. Same thing. I put grml on one of them, it boots fine. I put nanobsd on the same one; again boots fine. With openbsd on the usb drive, and I wipe out the beginning of the drive with dd, it then does not reset.

I haven't yet managed to get a dmesg captured, but it's a rather unremarkable via c7 motherboard. I've tried changing all the bios settings to the most conservative, disabled everything I can, ... same thing. Oh, and I've tried a different box (I have several of them) and a different power supply; neither had any effect.

One of the confusing things is the reset that happens when the usb drive is plugged in while in the bios setup...

What can I do next?