previously on this list Mihai Popescu contributed:

> Is there a paper explaining the purpose of Linux compatibility in OpenBSD?
> I'm not from UNIX time and I'm curious when and why this feature was added.

If you want to run say Opera that cannot be recompiled then you need
it. Unfortunately the one or two apps I may wish to use it for
such as segger Jlink require drivers/udev that I suspect could not
be made to work, but hey you can't have everything.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)