On 2014/04/30 15:51, Andy wrote:
> Hi sorry to reply with a stupid question but I get this error;
>
> [LIVE]root@mg1311:~# pkg_add -i symon
> symon-2.86p0:libart-2.3.21: ok
> symon-2.86p0:png-1.6.2p0: ok
> Can't install rrdtool-1.2.30p3 because of libraries
> |library freetype.20.0 not found
> | not found anywhere
> Direct dependencies for rrdtool-1.2.30p3 resolve to png-1.6.2p0
> libart-2.3.21
> Full dependency tree is png-1.6.2p0 libart-2.3.21
> Can't install symon-2.86p0: can't resolve rrdtool-1.2.30p3
>
> I've come across this issue of missing freetype in the OpenBSD sources
> before in older versions.

Install xbase - see http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#AddFileSet
and note the ldconfig step.

Alternatively any other way to grab process information would do -
even as simple as running 'ps -axlww | grep [b]gpd.*route | logger'
(if it's like I've seen, you'll probably want this every 15 seconds
or so to actually catch it .. symon normally records every 5 seconds)

> Anyway, I think you could be on the money as every time this has happened,
> it always happens just after seeing the message nexthop now valid.
>
> We don't use nexthop-self on our cisco routers which are connected to
> Transits and IXPs.
> At the moment the OpenBSD routers only have iBGP neighborships with two
> cisco ABR routers (no eBGP transit or IXP connections, just internal AS).
> Thus the BGP nexthop networks (transit and IXP links) are redistributed to
> the internal OpenBSD routers by IGP (OSPF) to validate the BGP nexthops and
> provide BGP prefix independent convergence.
>
> In most cases as far as I can remember, the penultimate message before the
> crash is the CARP partner's nexthop becoming valid.
>
> Just to throw the question out there. iBGP should always be a full mesh (or
> use RRs etc), and so we run iBGP from both of the OpenBSD firewalls to every
> other router, and I also run iBGP between the CARP pair themselves too. Is
> the iBGP between the CARP pair really needed??
> I'd imagine not as they are always active-backup and one should not be
> handing packets to the other etc.. (we only direct packets to the CARP
> addresses as they are running as both stateful firewalls *and* stateless
> routers, hence other posts here regarding trying to set the nexthop on BGP
> announcements to the CARP IPs).

It shouldn't be needed unless you are also carrying internal routes
(i.e. networks behind the firewalls) in BGP.