On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:11:26AM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> i wanted to build a couple small machines on the cheap a few months ago, so i
> went to http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.99/.f and got a couple VIA
> EPIA 5000 boards, bought the cases i used elsewhere, and plugged a 2-port NIC
> into the pci slot on board. the cases came with a riser card, making for a
> real
> easy setup. i find working with CF cards to be irritating, so i installed IDE
> drives in these machines.

nice.

CF is kinda slow and unsuitable for doing packet captures on fast links, however
most firewalls I have deployed don't need that functionality anyway. If they
ever
do I can always use a USB drive.

Speaking of CF, recently I bought a few CF drives. All of them were in the same
packages. Most work, but one does not. The working ones are "HITACHI, FLASH,
5.0"
and the troubled one is "SAMSUNG, Rev A.0". All of them work fine in Windows
or Linux.

Still trying to figure out what the problem is....